Pages

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of SALVATION, He hath covered me with the garments of RIGHTEOUSNESS, as bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the GARDEN causeth the things that are sown in it to SPRING FORTH, so the Lord GOD will cause RIGHTEOUSNESS and PRAISE to spring forth before ALL NATIONS."

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Music

I don't why I decided to torture my readers by putting a playlist on my blog. I always hate opening a page and then being surprised when unfamiliar music starts pouring out of my speaker. Don't you hate it too? Like I said, I'm not sure what possessed me. And since it is December 1 and close to Christmas, it's about time for me to create a Christmas Music playlist! Oh, boy!

I love music. I cannot imagine life without it. It is one of God's greatest gifts to us. While musical ability runs in my family, music to me be continues to be very personal. I love it, I've been trained classically, and I understand it...but I'm not a performer when it comes to playing my violin. Unless I'm being paid. Isn't that pathetic? I've tried to diagnose my lack of confidence when performing on my violin and it makes no sense. I love singing, acting and public speaking. Those things do not make me nervous...at least to the extent of throwing up. But when I close my bedroom door, shut the windows and cover up the vent - I love to make music for my own personal satisfaction and emotional release.

I was five or six years old when I first introduced to the music of Antonio Vivaldi. My mom had a theatrical recording that told the story of a young girl arriving at his girl's musical boarding school in Venice, and was full of fictitious dialogue and mystery. However, it was also liberally sprinkled with Vivaldi's music, and I fell in love with the red-headed composer who had been dead for 250 years. I listened to that recording at least once a day, and acted out all of the main characters as I did so. I also begged my mom for violin lessons. Which I received.

I was happiest when I was finally able to start working on Vivaldi's violin concerto in A minor, 1st Movement. It was the song that started it all for me. And it is also the song that every Book 4 Suzuki violin student has been tortured by, since the program started. But I loved it. I can't play it very well anymore, but I still love it.

My siblings are better musicians that I am. My older sister is an amazing piano player and is pursuing her degree in music performance. She is making all As, of course. My brother was singing harmony when he was three years old and my little sister Anna, plays the piano by ear...both hands. I am not tone-deaf, but I had to teach myself to sing harmony when I was a teenager to avoid being embarrassed in chorale. I don't have perfect pitch, but after lessons with very talented music teachers, I am able to fine-tune my violin and other people's, with a musically trained ear - now very sensitive to the difference between sharp and flat. I don't have the best natural sense of rhythm - but I don't try and fake it! I had a teacher who taught me how to count, and count I do! I am not able to compose, retain music theory, or play a double clef instrument like my sister, but I have a deep appreciation for the time, effort, talent, emotional message, and professionalism that is put into songs and performances, and I understand chorale and orchestral protocol.

I am so thankful for the classical musical training I have received and for my parents for supplying it and pushing me when I did not want to perform! It has given me a strong foundation and an appreciation for the artistic expression of all kinds of music. I will always regret not going farther than I did in my training - but I look forward to reaping the benefits I received! Who knows...maybe I'm not finished...there just might be another beginning in my future!

No comments: