Pages

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of SALVATION, He hath covered me with the garments of RIGHTEOUSNESS, as bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the GARDEN causeth the things that are sown in it to SPRING FORTH, so the Lord GOD will cause RIGHTEOUSNESS and PRAISE to spring forth before ALL NATIONS."

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thank You

I am sitting in the restaurant, ready to start studying the notes of my Bible study, and blog about my discoveries. Larry just walked in the door with a cup of hot coffee and an apple turnover for me. It was pleasant, comfortable...thoughtful. It reminded me of the core lesson in this past week's Bible study.

Praise God.

Sometimes it's just a thoughtless phrase..."Well, praise the Lord." We sings songs and hymns about it, and read Psalms...but do we do it as a thoughtful, intent action - as much as we should? And what do we do it for?

One of the most convicting things that Jane said on Monday nights lecture seemed rather cliched. She presented the idea of keeping a list things we are thankful for - things to praise God for everyday.

"Why don't I do that?" I had to ask myself...

It is so easy to complain. So, so easy. Why should it be hard to praise God - all the time? Point in case:

I hate snow. I. Hate. It. And sometimes I want everyone to know. All of those happy, ignorant people who slather the social websites with their exultations on the beauty and fun of snow. I wish I could tell ALL of them:

"Ahem, excuse me, people! For all of you out there who think that snow is pretty and fun, please remember that snow was NOT in God's original design of creation. Snow means cold - which means death and barrenness. It is destructive and miserable. For those of you who live in warmer climates, which might get three-four inches of snow during the winter months, or have only seen it in pictures, OR live in small neighborhoods, where your brother gets out and shovels your tiny driveway before you go outside, salt trucks go up and down your neighborhood street early in the morning and the wind is blocked by buildings - you don't know what you're talking about. You've never been snowed in by four foot drifts that form five minutes after you've shoveled your sidewalk, caused by 40 mph sub-zero winds whipping across acres and acres of empty cornfields and blowing through your layers of clothes like icy needles and even through the cracks of your bedroom window. So please, remember - snow is NOT fun! It is anything, but that."

But I don't say that. That's mean. I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining anyone's delusions - I mean - illusion of snow.

Still - as much as I am NOT a snow person, when the wind calms, and the clouds clear and the sun shines on the acres and acres of pure, white, sparkling snow that spread all around my property - there is really nothing like that real life picture to remind me of the reality of God's promise -

"Come now, let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow..." Isaiah 1:18

"Thank you God, for the beautiful picture you have given me through Your creation of snow, of the work You faithfully do in my soul."

So instead of keeping a record of the 2, 931 reasons why I hate snow, cold and winter in general...why not keep a record of the work God does? Even the little things that make me happy - small and inconsequential - can be little gifts from a loving Father.

Thank you for warm fires...

Thank you for good friends - who kindly bring me hot food and warm coffee to share together...

Thank you for the good business we have had, and the faithful customers who come out even in 14 degrees F....

Thank you I have a home, bed and food for my mouth.

Thank you for laughter, which makes EVERYTHING better...

Thank you I do not have to live in the middle of instability and riots...

Thank you for Your Word - which is always the same and always perfect...

Thank you for love...

Lesson learned.

No comments: