Pages

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of SALVATION, He hath covered me with the garments of RIGHTEOUSNESS, as bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the GARDEN causeth the things that are sown in it to SPRING FORTH, so the Lord GOD will cause RIGHTEOUSNESS and PRAISE to spring forth before ALL NATIONS."

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Edge of Vengeful Sanity

My sister is learning Scriabin's Etude Opus 8, Number 12 in D sharp minor.

I love it.

She has wanted to learn it for years. As she was practicing it very slowly, hands separate the other day, it was difficult to recognize. I told her whatever she was playing was mournful and was making me sad. She said it was supposed to be faster - at which pace it was still mournful, but less sad. More tainted with - revenge! As one person described it on YouTube: "If there is one piece that would represent the agony of a man on the verge of sanity, this would most likely be the piece..." So, my lovelies, if you like feeling as though you are tottering on the edge of vengeful sanity in a blindingly white snowstorm, then without much further ado, is Vladimir Horowitz playing Scriabin's Etude in D sharp minor:


No comments: