Pages

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of SALVATION, He hath covered me with the garments of RIGHTEOUSNESS, as bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the GARDEN causeth the things that are sown in it to SPRING FORTH, so the Lord GOD will cause RIGHTEOUSNESS and PRAISE to spring forth before ALL NATIONS."

Friday, January 28, 2011

Proverbs

Remember that little book of quotes and proverbs that I mentioned in this post? Well, I dug it up yesterday, and besides the difficulty of deciphering my own handwriting, I was reminded why I loved collecting quotes so much! I love the power of words, and how a simple turn of a phrase can carry so much weight. Here are some favorites:

"Patience is a bitter plant that has a sweet fruit." - German Proverb

"Truth exists; only lies are invented." - George Baroque

"Love looks with the mind, and not with the eyes." - from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' by William Shakespeare

"He gives too late, who waits to be asked." - Latin Proverb

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do, if he knew he would never be found out." - Baron Thomas Babington Maucaly

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I may look up, see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they live." - Louisa May Alcott

"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith; and the beginning of faith is the end of anxiety." - George Muller

"Beware of despairing about yourself! You are commanded to put your trust in God, not yourself!" - St. Augustine

"The influence of a good mother is worth more then a thousand school masters." - George Herbert

"Satan trembles when he sees
The weakest Saint upon his knees." - Unknown

"As unto the bow, the cord is,
So unto man is woman;
Though she bends him, she obeys him;
Though she draws him; yet she follows;
Useless each without the other."
 - from 'The Song of Hiawatha' by H.W. Longfellow

"The greatest cross, is self." - Unknown

"Delays are not denials." - Dr. Wayland Hoyt

"The true measure of loving is to love without measure." - St. Bernard

"Life is a long lesson in Humility." - James Barrie

"A woman is not born a woman. Nor does she become a woman when she marries a man, bears a child and does their dirty laundry; not even when she joins a woman's liberation movement. A woman becomes a woman when she becomes who God wants her to be." - Kenneth G. Smith

"Do great things for God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey, missionary

"I have seen in the morning sun the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary has ever been." - Robert Moffet, missionary

"I do not regret leaving home and friends. If I had to do it over, I would do it with more pleasure - yes, with all my heart!" - Mrs. Mary Robert Paton, missionary martyr

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears." - John Cheney

"A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails." - Donna Roberts

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the ocean." - Isak Dinesen

"We have a God who delights in impossibilities and who asks, 'Is anything too hard for Me?'" - Andrew Murray

Yes, that's "a few" of my favorites. I really need to keep collecting them...I still have a lot of empty pages left in my book... :)

No comments: