Pages

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of SALVATION, He hath covered me with the garments of RIGHTEOUSNESS, as bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the GARDEN causeth the things that are sown in it to SPRING FORTH, so the Lord GOD will cause RIGHTEOUSNESS and PRAISE to spring forth before ALL NATIONS."

Friday, January 21, 2011

Patriotism - Part I

Patriotism.

It's one of those subjects that I've been pondering a lot about lately. One of the pillars of my upbringing, I have been searching my personal patriotic convictions and feelings and comparing them to the truth of Scripture. And really - what is it? And what role should patriotism play in a Christian's life?

I am exceptionally grateful to God for allowing me to be born an American. I have been raised with the foundational appreciation and the open practice of 'Man's unalienable Rights' - the freedom of Speech, the freedom of Religion and all of the other principles that make up our beautiful nation of beautiful people.

But appreciation and patriotism are not the same thing. The Amish are no doubt appreciative of the political rights that allow them to practice their religion in peace - but they do not practice their appreciation as patriots. I was raised to be patriotic. As a home-schooler, I was well-taught in American history - of which I am very proud. I get a tingly, teary-eyed feeling when I hear the National Anthem played or sung. I cry (sob) in remembering fallen soldiers and the sacrifices that have been made. My heart swells at the sight of the Stars & Stripes waving in the air.

Ever since I was old enough to participate, by family and I have been involved in political events too many to even number. I have marched in parades for candidates; walked door-to-door handing out fliers until my heels bled; made phone calls for John Boehner; attended Presidential rallies; stood on TV behind George W. Bush; and I stood on the stadium floor with all the media screaming until I was hoarse when John McCain announced Sarah Palin as his running mate on live TV in his 2008 campaign. I have angrily protested on freezing cold sidewalks; have volunteered at many Right to Life events; Tea Parties - and the list goes on and on with countless other political activities - all in the name of patriotism, the Constitution, Liberty - oh, and God...yeah...

Lord Byron once said, "If a man cannot love his country, he can love nothing." While that may be true to some extent, it's certainly not a foundation to build your life - or love - upon. But considering this quote, I started to realize that for most Americans patriotism is summed up not in a love for their country and our principles - but in a disdain for other's countries and other's principles. In fact, where in-country politics are concerned, most people, whether Republican or Democrat, usually find their reasons for voting, not "for" something, but "against" something. Everything, everything coming from almost a single-minded negative reaction. And not for the sake of principles, but for the sake of how it affects Number One - "ME". As happy as I am to be an American, I respect others dedication towards their homeland, and rather find it a deep honor that people will leave their culture, families, and country to come to my homeland to pursue their dreams. (But I am referring to those who go through the torturous maze of legal immigration.)

Because of the influence of media and Conservative talk-shows (aka - Conservative does not equal Christian) I have realized that people talk as they think they should. True - "from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" - but what people hear affects their heart, if we are not careful in choosing our beliefs based on conviction, it is easy to "believe"anything. While liberalism may be a mental illness, as Rush Limbaugh claims, people who "hear" of Biblical principles masquerading as"Conservative Values" and follow the man or political party behind it, instead of the TRUTH -  soon become just as tainted and twisted as any anti-Biblical heresy. Here follows two examples of common American "patriotism":

Only yesterday, I was standing in our small town's post office. There was only one worker available at the counter and six people already ahead of me in line when I walked in. Everyone was rushing around, trying to get errands done before the current "blizzard" arrived. After I had been standing, waiting about 5 minutes, without moving up at all, a man walked in and took his place behind me.

"Oh my gosh!" He was muttering. He proceeded to mumble and complain about the long waits all over town, postage prices, union workers, until a new customer arrived behind him and he had fresh blood to pour out his complaints on.

"I gotta go to Wal-Mart after this....all the long waits will be ridiculous. I'm gonna have to head over to Richmond. I'll get to see all the Mexicans....that always thrills me!" He said. The woman behind him laughed appreciatively. I stopped listening after that comment, because he was irritating me. Yes - illegal immigration is an issue. A big issue in our country. Yes - the majority of illegal immigrants come from over the Mexican border. Yes - I even support Arizona's immigration law. BUT - are we to condemn every Latino looking person as though they are public nuisance; all criminals; or - heaven forbid - somehow lower then us? Some do think that way...whether they realize it or not. And that attitude becomes a passing joke for a laugh from a pretty stranger in a public post office.

My second example happened about two weeks ago and touches closer to home. Two weeks ago, my dad's friends, Tom & Rick, spent their week expanding our restaurant dining room, and doing remodeling, reconstruction, and electrical work. They did a fantastic job. It's awesome. However, they brought a little extra "help" with them one day from their regular job.

Steve - I shall call him, was a hard worker too. Giving his time and labor for free to help out some strangers is an honorable thing. But he really rubbed me the wrong way. Really. Really. Annoying.

I never told him my name, but somehow he found out, and every chance he could he was yelling for me, "Hey EMILY!" At lunch break, my dad and I handed out their food. Rick and Steve took a couple chairs. Tom settled onto the floor and I joined him with my Diet Coke, silently following their conversation. Somehow the conversation turned to the gas station next door to our restaurant, which is owned by two Indian brothers. Since I am the only one who can actually get polite responses from them (that's another story) I'm the one who gets sent over there whenever we need something. From there, the discussion became how every gas station in the U.S. seems to be owned by either Indians, or Middle-Easterners. My dad pointed out how they're are much nicer to me then they are to him.

"HEY Emily!" Steve leaned over in his chair, "You know what I call them?" He paused a second, but not long enough for an answer - "Dot-heads!"

I smiled sickly, but didn't laugh. I understood the joke about the Hindu woman's traditional bindi, but to me it was not laughable - it was a sad sign of their need for Jesus, not a subject for a racial joke. Unfortunately, it didn't end there. After they continued to share stories and express frustration over the fact that immigrants own almost all the gas stations in America, I piped up -

"You know who owns almost all of the gas stations in Haiti? Middle-Easterners too! They immigrate there from Jordon and Lebanon!" Before anyone could respond Steve cut in again loudly, directing his comments to me:

"Now you know what I think we should do with that country? I think we should just take a bunch of bulldozers and just push the entire island of Haiti into the ocean! That country has been - "

Before he could finish his remarks, Tom - who knows how I have been there four times - stood up and loudly announced it was time to get back to work. My face was getting hot, and if I hadn't been so angry I could have thought of a thousand replies. But in reality - the strongest feeling I felt was a sick pity. Because I knew that despite America being the number-one global leader in charity - that attitude towards third-world countries, not just Haiti, was sadly common. And it is simply a misguided patriotism stemming from ignorance. Not just a lack of knowledge - but a lack of desire for knowledge. And the best response for ignorance is silence. "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest though become just like him" (Proverbs 26:4) - wise words indeed.

I have discovered since becoming involved in over-sea missions the amount of disdain that is out there for people who will take their talents, money and labor overseas for charitable work. I have received grief from both Christians and non-Christians alike. "To h*ll, with Haiti," one "Christian" man went as far to say, "We have enough poor in our own country!" Misguided patriotism - loyalty to country before loyalty to God's service. God calls some to go, some to give and some to stay. "What is that to you - you follow ME!" (John 21:22)

And here we reach the real root of the matter.

Part II later...

No comments: